"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

--Winston Churchill

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

True Lightness


Goodness I feel like I've been absent from the blogging world for too long now, especially when I look at these photos which were taken almost a week ago. I love this scarf.


[Dress: Population from TJ Maxx; Scarf: From Avant Garb in Ashland; Belt: Part of a set of 3 children's belts from Fred Meyer; Shoes: Wet Seal]


Last weekend when I was amid much hustle and bustle making last minute preparations for the wedding with the eight other bridesmaids and enjoying girl time with the bride during her last hours of singledom, food and body image was one of the last things on my mind. In consequence, I ate well and had an amazing time enjoying people and celebrating. My lesson? When you're happily serving people and putting others first, you hardly have time to dwell on appearances and food issues. It was so simple and eye opening for me. On the way back we missed our connecting flight so I had plenty of time to finish reading Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi. I mentioned her memoir and the fact that I wanted to read it in an earlier post and let me tell you I couldn't put it down. It was both scarily relatable and scarily extreme. I couldn't believe how long she went before realizing that she actually had an eating disorder and wasn't just on a diet. She says that the book isn't only intended for those who have eating disorders, but should be read by anyone who has ever been on a diet. It'll make you never want to diet again. I'm planning on going into more detail in the book review I am planning on writing but I want to encourage you all to start reading it now! I think it's good for all mothers and future mothers to daughters to read too. It's not a happy book, but it was truly life changing to me. So needless to say my weekend was incredibly refreshing and eye opening and made me think even more about my New Years resolutions this year. I'll keep you posted. Until then my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment