"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

--Winston Churchill

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chic in the City Part 1


Today is my first day in the Big Apple and I am already high on the city life. I love everything about this place, from the museums and the theater, to the incredible shopping and the fact that everywhere you turn there is at least one well dressed person in plain view. Mostly, I just love the fact that there is always something to do and see and TASTE! I am dedicating my first New York post to a few of my favorite places to eat, or drink tea, or indulge on an incredible dessert. Eat it up!



Butter


My family ate here the night of my dad's birthday last time we visited and enjoyed every moment of it. I fell in love with their butternut squash soup (coincidental?) and enjoyed the cozy, enclosed atmosphere. I recognized the place from several episodes of Gossip Girl, and when I asked the waitress if she had seen them film there she said they film there all the time. Leighton Meester had in fact performed there a few nights before.



The fam at Butter.

Butter Restaurant
415 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10003
(212) 253-2828




Serendipity 3



How could I not mention this adorable little place that has been featured in several movies, most notably, Serendipity starring Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack? The restaurant is well worth its fame because of its kooky and somewhat chaotic decor and the incredible menu full of fattening treats including the specialty it is best known for, the frozen hot chocolate. The incredibly flamboyant and friendly waiter that served us the last time we were there told us the restaurant is a place of indulgence and that there is only one healthy thing on the menu. Of course, my dad found it and ordered it. Just next to Bloomingdales, this place is definitely worth a visit, but don't go with a plan to limit your calorie intake. You will fail miserably, but it is well worth it.




I couldn't resist taking multiple sips of my sister's frozen hot chocolate.


Serendipity 3
225 East 60th Street
New York, NY 10022-1498
(212) 838-3531



Buddakan



The way we ended up eating at this place is serendipitous for a few reasons: the first one being that we were supposed to leave New York the day after a huge snow storm hit and we ended up being snowed in several extra days. That's a whole different story but my point is, we wouldn't have even gone here if it weren't for our extended stay. The second reason being that the girls and I had visited this restaurant on a Sex and the City bus tour a few days before because it was featured in the rehearsal dinner scene of the movie. They let us inside and the second I stepped in I wished so badly we had a chance to eat there. The third being that as soon as I mentioned it to my dad he said that he was actually wanting to take us there because it was highly recommended by one of his friends. So of course, as soon as we knew we were going to stick around a bit longer, we made reservations. If you've seen the Sex and the City movie, you've gotten a taste of the immense space and the ornate and ancient decor with a modern and hip twist. But my descriptions hardly do it justice. You have to see it yourself to get the full effect. The gourmet Asian cuisine is equally impressive.



Carrie and Big in the rehearsal dinner (aka "last single girl kiss") scene at Buddakan.


Buddakan
75 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10011-7006
(212) 989-6699



Alice's Tea Cup




This adorable little tea shop is perfect for a afternoon get together with the girls, a shower or children's birthday, or just low a key tea date for two. The Alice in Wonderland theme is represented throughout the whimsical shop and the tea selection is vast and impressive. I tried the scones and some sort of chocolate bread or cake (which I can't quite remember now) and both were amazing. There are three locations so try to stop at one of them if you ever visit.



An Alice-decorated wall.


Alice's Tea Cup
Chapter I
102 West 73rd Street
New York, NY 10023-3047
(212) 799-3006


Chapter II
156 East 64th Street
New York, NY 10065-7411
(212) 486-9200


Chapter III
220 East 81st Street
New York, NY 10028-2726
(212) 734-4832


1 comment:

  1. Wait, why am I not in New York with you guys?? Great post, Ads. Brings back good memories!! : )

    ReplyDelete