"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

--Winston Churchill

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Forever Pretty: A Celebration of Mom

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his." ~Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895

My friends, it is mother's day, and in honor of those beautiful, courageous women we call mom, I am dedicating this post to my mom, the woman who introduced me to what true prettiness is.



Ever since she was a girl, my mom has been an amazing seamstress. Through highschool she made many of her own clothes including her prom dress. She even made her wedding dress! I have never possessed that talent and am in constant amazement of her skills with a needle and thread. For those who don't now her, my mom has an alter ego: her name is Molly Ringwald... well more like Andie Walsh. My mom was introduced to Pretty in Pink after she was married when someone told her the main character in the movie doesn't only look just like her, but IS her in highschool. Andie sews all her own clothes including her prom dress and could be my mom's twin when they were both that age. I love the movie and watch it all the time (who would NOT want Duckie as a best friend!). Therefore, I was SO excited when I heard Molly Ringwald had a new book coming out called Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family, and Finding the Perfect Lipstick. She dedicates the book to "All women. Our mothers and our daughters" and discusses everything from beauty, personal style, and travel, to entertaining, motherhood, and friendships. She encourages every woman to become "the sexiest, funniest, smartest, best-dressed and most confident woman you can be." I bought this book a few days ago and can't wait to dive into it! It is a great mother's day gift (for those who are late in getting one) and something both mothers and daughters can enjoy together and get that pretty back!


My mom's twin wearing her homemade prom dress in Pretty in Pink.


Me and mommy back in the day

My gorgeous mom and I now.

Mom's mother's day flowers : )

5 comments:

  1. aw, so sweet. and such a great picture of you both!
    love your blog. im a fellow jacksonviller-er too! haha
    -kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this yesterday, my beautiful Ads! I guess I was too busy being spoiled by my wonderful kids! Thank you so much for all the blog love! You make me feel so beautiful. I love you, dear daughter!! Your Molly Mom : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. There she is .... Molly! I mean, Michelle! And isn't it true, Addie, that every time we are together Paul brings up the twins? LOL.

    Lovely post! Beautiful ladies, both you and your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww thanks Sandy : ) That's so funny I forgot Paul points it out too! It is so the truth! They are twins! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The resulting time I read a blog, I trust that it doesnt baffle me as a great deal as this one. I suggest, I do realize it was my decision to adapt, anyway I really thought youd have something eye catching to state. All I hear is a lot of whimpering about something that you could fix in the occasion you werent excessively occupied looking for consideration. if you want to learn more: Forest Green Prom Dress

    ReplyDelete