"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

--Winston Churchill

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

That Dress

Tomorrow marks the one month countdown till I GRADUATE and I finally received my graduation dress in the mail yesterday so I thought I'd share the story behind it:

Last December I visited New York with my family. The first time we passed the Saks Fifth Avenue window I was stopped in my tracks by a stunning window display of red gowns. One dress in particular made me want to walk by Saks every day and stop by the window and stare and take in its beauty. I imagined myself wearing that dress at some big Academy Awards type event. I took note that it was a Monique Lhuillier design and months later I still couldn't stop thinking about it so I decided to peruse the Monique Lhuillier website and to my utter delight I found a wedding dress version of the exact same dress! Yes, I had found my dream wedding dress. Fast forward a few more months and as I was flipping through a fashion magazine I saw for the first time the new ad campaign for the H&M Garden Collection and low and behold I had met my shorter, more affordable match! The dress looked like a shorter version of the same red dress I saw in the window display months ago. And the best part was it came in both cream and red and was only 40 dollars! I was ecstatic! I had been looking for a graduation dress and I knew instantly that this would be perfect. After all, I know getting married isn't going to be happening ANY time soon for me so the second biggest event to a wedding would probably be graduating right? And I will be getting up in front of a crowd of people just like a wedding (even if it's only for a few seconds and my gorgeous dress will be hidden underneath my graduation gown) so of course I want to be wearing a beautiful little dress to commemorate the event.


The Monique Lhuillier masterpiece, aka my dream wedding dress

My version


The dress was sold out by the time I could even get access to an H&M store but I was able to order one from Ebay (we won't mention that I paid over twice the price...it was well worth it).


The gorgeous rose appliques are my favorite part of the dress.

A sneak peek


The red Monique Lhuillier, the dress that started it all.


I've had this birthday card forever and the red dress reminds of the this dress on the card.

2 comments:

  1. Addi, the wedding dress is gorgeous!! (And so is the graduation dress, especially with you in it.) What a FUN story!! xo! mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey for graduation! It's ALL I think about.
    ps. I, too, lusted after the red rose dress in those H&M ads. Way to go for finding it on e-bay! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete