"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

--Winston Churchill

Monday, January 10, 2011

From Dance Cardio to Smile Booth: A Weekend Recap


I don't know whether it's because I'm feeling newly inspired and excited about what this new year holds or because I feel like I finally know the next direction I want to take my life, but I am feeling extra happy these days. Weekends like this last one definitely contribute to that. I am one lucky girl. What did I do/discover/watch this weekend? Well let me tell ya...


Discovered-- Tracy Anderson's Beginner Dance Cardio

My elliptical machine recently broke and is in the process of getting fixed. At first, I was pretty agitated about this but now I think it was an answer from God. As a person recovering from an eating disorder, it can be easy to turn an exercise routine into a compulsion. I always get a workout high when trying a new routine that really works for me but eventually that feeling disappears after doing the same thing day after day. I had been using the elliptical just long enough to start dreading the very thought of stepping on that thing, but of course, I still feel better when I get a work out in and I thought the elliptical was giving me the best I could get at home. Boy was I wrong. My sister and I bought Tracy Anderson's Beginner Dance Cardio DVD a while back when we wanted to start doing a weekly friend workout but never got around to breaking it out. For some reason, workout DVDs have always intimidated me or seemed like not a great work out so I always avoided them. Well my friends, my phobia of workout DVDs has officially ended. Don't get me wrong, even though this DVD is labeled for beginners I still looked like a complete idiot trying to follow the choreography but I found that as long as I kept bouncing around and pretending to know what I was doing, I got the best, most invigorting workout I have gotten in a long time. I would not recommend doing this workout every day, but I think it is just what I needed to break up my routine and get me excited about exercise again in a healthy way. Thank you broken elliptical and Tracy Anderson!


Saw-- Country Strong

For those who know me or have been reading my blog for a while now, you know that missing the new Gwyneth Paltrow movie would be a sin in my book, even if it is about country music which I am not a fan of (to put it mildly). So of course my Friday night was devoted to watching Country Strong, the story of a washed up country singer fresh out of rehab trying to make her big comeback while still battling her demons. Of course, Gwyneth never ceases to amaze me and blew me away with the voice I never knew she had. Who knew she had some twang in her?! The storyline was a tad depressing, just like a country song, but I still thought the movie was good in its own melancholy way. It was also a refreshing departure for Leighton Meester, who I'm used to seeing sporting Chanel and plotting her revenge on her latest victim in Gossip Girl. I was also surprised to see a talent in her I never knew she had. Her story was actually the sweetest in the movie and the one that drew me in the most. I'll be interested to see how this movie scores with the reviewers.


Did: Smile Booth



These are the things you get to do when you have an incredibly creative friend like Jessica. As part of a girls night/cheer up effort, Jess created an adorable "smile booth" with handmaid props to do a mini photoshoot. For the backdrop she hung dark and light pink streamers on her wall which one of us pointed out reminded her of Victoria's Secret. Jess and I had to take a slipper pick with our matching skirt/slipper outfits.

I also baked some gluten free Scandinavian thumbprint cookies which was more fun than delicious. I ended up substituting a key ingredient with something else so they didn't turn out as tasty as I hoped.

After the smile booth pictures we changed into our cozy pjs and moved the photoshoot into the living room. Fun fun night!


Did: Organize Organize ORGANIZE!

Thanks to the help of my amazing mom I am now able to actually open and close my dresser drawers with ease!! Not only did I go through my drawers and organize my clothes, but my mom also completely cleaned up and dusted the top of my dresser too. This was all after I deep cleaned the interior of my car. I just love the days where you get a lot done! My mom ended up committing to helping me with a new organizing project every weekend which will be a HUGE help and will make moving out eventually A LOT easier. Thanks mom for your help!

In a nutshell, I am feeling incredibly blessed. What do I have to look forward to next weekend? The GOLDEN GLOBES of course! Let the countdown begin...

2 comments:

  1. I want to go see "Country Strong", even though I too do not like country music. Unless it's Garth Brooks. I heard that it is kinda gnarly, but I'm still looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are far to kind to me, my dear, and you girls make it WAY to easy to have fun and smile. We need to have another par-tey asap.

    ReplyDelete