"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

--Winston Churchill

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Special K Challenge



{Dress: Forever 21; Sweater: Ralph Lauren (from TJ Maxx); Socks: Target; Boots: Bakers}

I read this post on the Special K Challenge several days ago and have been thinking about it ever since. It really struck a chord with me because every time a commercial comes on for the challenge or I hear about it--and I've known about it for post years--I can't help feel sorry for the poor people won over by their clever marketing scheme. You don't have to be a scientist or nutritionist to know that it can't be healthy. However, some people are desperate enough to lose weight that they'll try anything that's popular enough with pretty appealing colors and simple instructions. What they don't realize is that something like this can be opening a door to disordered eating. According to the post titled The Special K Challenge: Get Lost, it is revealed that the challenge only has you consuming 829 calories a day! And most of those calories are from the empty processed and filled with high fructose corn syrup cereal. A healthy way to lose weight? I think not. I hope I've wet your appetite for the article. Read it, pass it on. People need to be informed of the dangers of mass marketing and the food industry.

On that note, I'm off to make some healthy chocolate raspberry cookie bars! If they turn out delicious I'll make sure to share the recipe with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment