"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

--Winston Churchill

Sunday, January 23, 2011

It's the Simple Things


{Dress: Xhileration for Target; Belt: H&M; Necklace: Target; Shoes: Tahari (from TJ Maxx); Bracelet: Forever 21}


Sometimes, it's the simple things in life that make me truly happy. This weekend I was fortunate enough to spend quality time with three of my closest friends individually. I feel like that never happens. That was enough to make my weekend a memorable one. However, there were a few added perks to my weekend that I feel are worthy of mention...

Can we say OSCAR PARTY?!! This year I (or someone I know, I don't really remember) had the brilliant idea to host an Oscar viewing party at our family business, Blackstone Audio, which has a screening room with a huge screen TV and projector. I look forward to the Oscars almost like I look forward to Christmas, so the idea of holding a party for it makes it doubly exciting for me. Once again, my brilliant friend Jessica came up with the idea for these invites, which I think turned out quite nicely. I can't wait to hand them out!

I cleaned out my closet!! Once again, my mom helped me with another weekend organizing project and had the genius idea to store my dozens of fancy cocktail dresses in garment bags in the garage to make room for my every day clothes. Of course, I got rid of some items too. Now I can actually see my clothes! Amazing! Now I can actually look forward to getting dressed every day.

Don't you just love it when you've had your eye on an item for ages but resist it because you can't afford it, but then you go back later to discover that it's on clearance for practically nothing?! Well my friends, this very thing happened to me today at Target. I was casually perusing the accessory aisles when low and behold, before my very eyes I saw the beautiful limited edition black Mulbery for Target fifty-dollar purse I've wanted ever since I first set eyes on it months ago on clearance for twelve dollars!!! My friend Grace can attest that I was freaking out in the aisle. I couldn't believe my luck. I've been needing a new purse for a while now but couldn't bring myself to splurging on a new one. Now I'm set for a while! This bag is incredibly classic and versatile and looks much more expensive than it was originally even. Score!

I've been searching for these perfect little snacks ever since I first read about them. I'm a nut fanatic and tend to go a little crazy with them sometimes when I'm not limited to a certain amount (they used to be a bad binge food, so I'm still a little afraid at times to snack on them). So when I discovered these perfect little chocolate dusted almond snack packs I immediately thought they were just what I needed to snack on and feel good about. This weekend as I was shopping at Wal Mart for supplies for our Oscar party invites I finally found them! Who would have thought Wal Mart of all places? They are so delicious that I went back today and bought two more boxes.

I discovered this book at Costco today and couldn't resist buying it. As many of you know, I've been in quite the cooking craze lately, specifically baking but a little cooking mixed in. This book drew me in because all of the recipes are incredibly healthy but also simple and approachable. I get easily overwhelmed with cook books, especially when they list a bunch of random ingredients I would have to go out and buy. But this cook book is filled with ingredients we actually own already! So many of the recipes look so delicious I can't wait to start making them! This just might be what I need to get me to transition from baking to cooking more. Tonight I made the antioxidant coco oat dreams in their dessert section and they are amazing! I might just have to hoard them all to myself ;)

The album I've been waiting for for ages has FINALLY arrived and as of today I have it in my possession at last! I am a huge James Blunt fan and was so excited to hear his new CD was slated to come out in December '10. However, it's release kept getting pushed back and I was forced to take it off my Christmas list and continue waiting in eager anticipation for its release. Even though I shouldn't be spending my money on things like this right now I couldn't resist purchasing it when I saw it at Wal Mart today for eleven bucks. I am absolutely loving it so far.

Well, that just about sums up the simple things that made my weekend so great. I also managed to file my tax returns (woohoo for money!), go grocery shopping, make gluten free spinach and artichoke pies for dinner (yummy, but too much work to make again), and buy three adorable pairs of ballet flats so that I no longer have an excuse to wear heels. I'd say that makes for a pretty productive weekend, wouldn't you? I also was tagged in "7 Things Post" which I plan to follow through on soon...hopefully. So stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Firstly, those Oscar party invites are fabulous! I love them so much, the Oscars are so much fun to watch!
    Second, that purse is quite classic, way to go Target, and for holding out for sales!
    Third, I will have to check out that new James Blunt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love james blunt too...will have to look for the cd. just a caution...i bought that mulberry bag for my sister, and one week later, the twisty knob thing (that fastens the flap) fell off. maybe she just had a bad one...

    rockoomph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man I hope that doesn't happen to my bag!! Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete