"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

--Winston Churchill

Monday, November 1, 2010

For the Love of the Theater and Pride and Prejudice




Ever since a young age I've been strangely obsessed with Jane Austen. It all started with my mom taking my sister and I to see Sense and Sensibility in theaters. I remember being in second grade and going over to my friend's house and watching the movie over and over again. I couldn't get enough of it. That love eventually carried over to the movie Emma (the first film I fell in love with my now favorite actress Gwyneth Paltrow) and eventually to reading Pride and Prejudice at 15. I wanted to read the book before I saw the A&E movie version with Colin Firth and that didn't end up being difficult because I plowed through it. I remember not wanting to leave my room to stop reading it. I fell hopelessly in love with Mr. Darcy. The book is to this day my favorite and I am now considering reading it for the third time. I just love the way Jane Austen creates romantic tension and how strong her female protagonists are. She was ahead of her time in so many ways which I think is why so many people still love her. When the Keira Knightley film version came out you can only imagine my excitement, and when I heard that the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland was putting on a Pride and Prejudice play I was Jane Austen giddy all over again! My parents were nice enough to hit up their connection to free tickets and scored us 5. What better way to spend Halloween afternoon than going out to see my favorite story performed (very well, I might add) on the stage with my parents and 3 of my closest friends?! I can't think of any at the moment...

All dressed up!


Eagerly anticipating the show.


We got so many complements on our shoes and the funny thing is we never knew who they were referring to!


Thank you Grace for the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment